By Michael D. Harris-Arzon
Rarely do I see supposed marketing experts or consultants provide old fashioned marketing advice to their clients or online target audience. It is so easy to get caught up in the latest trend and push the latest technology that basic marketing techniques are forgotten about completely.
There are so many reasons that the average Entrepreneur, Luxury REALTOR or Professional Brand Manager should be using traditional press releases and press conferences. If anything, there is a much higher need by bloggers, reporters and media curators to be invited to your press conference. Americans consume a lot more news and media today than they ever have before. When you combine that with the fact that content is consumed in small bites, you can see how there is an organic need for fresh information that can be shared.
It’s time to celebrate that new product launch, new hire, Celebrity Listing, Grand Opening, book release and anything else that has you personally excited about. Share that excitement with the world and let the bloggers and reporters help you with your promotional efforts.
When calling a press conference, do it the morning of the announcement.
1.Email the Media Alert
2. Call the editorial desk to confirm receipt of the emailed Media Alert. This should be done before 10am as by that time the days assignments are usually handed out to the staff reporters.
3. Ask if they will be covering the event.
4. Set up the space well in advance and hire a conference room if need be. Expecting people to cram into your office will have then simply walk out.
Do not be surprised if they ask for a quick sound bite or interview right then and there. This is very common with Radio Stations.
- Location that the news will be shared from.
- Time of the announcement.
- Length of event.
- Be sure to tell the media whether it is a Simple Statement being made or if there will be a Q&A Session.
- Provide Detailed, Mobile Contact Information for questions prior to the event.